Perfil del Grupo
Centro Nacional de Biotecnología. CSIC.
Dpto. Biología Molecular y Celular.
C/ Darwin nº 3
28049 Cantoblanco (Madrid)
Tel. +34 915 854 682
Fax +34 915 854 506
José Ramón Naranjo Orovio
Descripción de la Investigación
We investigate the nuclear components of activity- and Ca2+- dependent transcriptional responses in neurons to i) understand the molecular determinants of downstream events that are responsible for plastic changes in synaptic functionality, ii) to regulate the output of physiological functions including learning and memory and pain sensitization and iii) to develop tools to intervene in pathological processes during neurodegeneration.
We foresee the Ca2+-dependent transcriptional repressor DREAM as an active/central component of several different nucleoprotein complexes that mediate specifically in the various transcriptional cascades triggered by membrane depolarization in neurons under physiological as well as pathological conditions.
Moreover, we investigate other Ca2+-dependent properties of the DREAM protein outside the nucleus that are mediated through specific protein-protein interactions with membrane receptors and other key components of major signaling cascades. These interactions are essential to regulate neurodegeneration among other processes.
- Ribeiro JP, Palczewska M, André S, Cañada FJ, Gabius HJ, Jiménez-Barbero J et al. Diffusion nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy detects substoichiometric concentrations of small molecules in protein samples. Anal Biochem. 2010 Jan 1;396(1):117-23.
- Wu LJ, Mellström B, Wang H, Ren M, Domingo S, Kim SS et al. DREAM (Downstream Regulatory Element Antagonist Modulator) contributes to synaptic depression and contextual fear memory. Mol Brain. 2010 Jan 21;3:3.
- Díaz-Hernández M, Gómez-Ramos A, Rubio A, Gómez-Villafuertes R, Naranjo JR, Miras-Portugal MT et al. Tissue-nonspecific alkaline phosphatase promotes the neurotoxicity effect of extracellular tau. J Biol Chem. 2010 Oct 15;285(42):32539-48.
- Savignac M, Mellström B, Bébin AG, Oliveros JC, Delpy L, Pinaud E et al. Increased B cell proliferation and reduced Ig production in DREAM transgenic mice. J Immunol. 2010 Dec 15;185(12):7527-36.
- Rivera-Arconada I, Benedet T, Roza C, Torres B, Barrio J, Krzyzanowska A et al. DREAM regulates BDNF-dependent spinal sensitization. Mol Pain. 2010 Dec 18;6:95.